Tuesday 23 July 2013

Too hot for babies. Too hot for mummies. Too hot for boobies.

In this heat, I have found it at times almost unbearable to feed my baby.

That, in itself, sounds terrible I know, but having a 10 weeks old baby that wants to feed more because she is thirsty more, and is getting hot and sweaty in the process, is an experience that leaves a lot to be desired.

I have been so paranoid about D in this weather that my sleep has been more disrupted than at any other time during the past 10 weeks.

I am up hourly to check she is ok, checking the thermometer only to curse the digits that appear, touching her bare tummy to check she is not 'too hot', whatever that means in this weather!! And all the while she is sleeping like never before.... which makes me worry further....

Is she too lethargic?
Is she drinking enough?
Is she drinking too much?
Am I drinking enough...? (always no!)

It is a never ending worry, and there is no sign of it letting up any time soon!

BUT...
 I AM NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT THE WEATHER.... I AM NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT THE WEATHER (repeat until believable).

It is glorious outside, and we have had some lovely days out at a family, and some beautiful BBQ's and evenings with good friends out in the garden, but when you hear the Level 3 heatwave warning which specifically states that babies are at risk, you cannot help but go into panic mode.

So what is the solution?

In short... there isn't one. Brilliant. So here is what I am doing to keep D cool(er).

At night, she is sleeping with the window open. Not ideal because of bugs and a draft, but the alternative of overheating is not worth thinking about!
She also has my old wheat bag which I used to put in the microwave to heat up for aches and pains. I pop that in the freezer all day and she has a cool bag on her side to send her off to sleep.
Nice cool baths... good short term solution.
She only wears clothes to leave the house. When we are inside she is just in her nappy.
She sleeps only in her nappy.
We sit out in the shade when we can and if there is a breeze.

Short of spending all our time in air conditioned cafes, there is not much else I have found that helps!

One things I have noticed about this weather, is that my sick baby, is even more sick! I have been searching for the answers as to why this might be, as she is still happy and healthy, but much more sick that usual!

The main reason I can think of, (and this is no way scientific fact, just me asking questions and examining my lifestyle), is that the amount of water that I am drinking has dramatically increased. 10fold I would say!! From what I can tell this has effected the milk that I produce, making it thinner and therefore more thirst quenching than filling. Therefore, I THINK what is happening, is D is gulping away merrily, taking far too much to try and fill herself and then bringing it back up......
Might be talking rubbish there, but it is an answer that, for now, seems to cover most of the issue!

As a red head, who has a baby who is currently a red head, I don't usually favour the sun - it is not my friend. However being on maternity leave seems to have brought out the best in me, and I have very much enjoyed the weather, even if I have to seek shade or shelter for the most part!

We have had some wonderfully family days that I would not trade for the world! And it also gives me the opportunity to feed in some gorgeous places.... even if I do get hot and sticky :s !!

The journey continues.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...