Monday 22 July 2013

Drinking and feeding.

Throughout my pregnancy, I despised the smell of alcohol. It repulsed me!!

An amazing thing, I kept thinking to myself! At least I am not craving it!!

But, a few days after D was born, I suddenly got my taste back! A nice cold cider on a sunny evening would be lovely. But what are the 'rules'??

I spent a long time feeling guilty that I was having a drink and feeding in the early days, and always felt like I needed to justify myself.

It seemed as though people had MORE of a problem with drinking and feeding than they do with drinking in pregnancy!! Which seems ludicrous! I am not harming something that is unborn, now am I harming her now she is here!

So what are the facts??

I am not talking about getting shit faced! I am talking about the occasional cider when you are in the pub, or a glass of wine when baby is in bed.

Some people feel so guilty about having even ONE drink that the 'pump and dump' which to me seems like a waste, but if it makes you feel better about relaxing, then fair enough.

The fact is, in simple terms, if you are safe to drive, you are safe to feed. The amount of alcohol in your blood, is what ends up in your milk, so one drink will have very little effect, and will not do your baby any harm.

In fact, some researcher suggest that breast milk with alcohol in, is still better than formula.... not sure what I think about that personally, but it does make interesting reading.

I am in no way condoning getting drunk, or having too many when you are in care of your child.... I am more talking about getting your own life back, which most women need to do to maintain some normal adult behaviour. So on two occasions I have left D with my husband and gone and met some work colleagues. Although the first time I found it tough to leave her, it made me feel so much better. And because I was driving, I knew I would be able to feed my baby safely. Plus I went out at bedtime and knew I wouldn't be feeding her until the alcohol was practically out of my system anyway.

I know women who just don't want to risk it and that is worthy of praise, but also, women shouldn't be made to feel as though they cannot have a life, or relax in the way they did before their babies arrived. Lets not create a culture in which it is ok to 'just have one' whilst pregnant, but not when the baby arrives.... statistically more issues occur with drinking in pregnancy than when breastfeeding.

The journey continues......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...