Friday 26 July 2013

I do it in public.... and I freaking love it!

I really have very little to say about breastfeeding in public which might sound a little odd, but here is the long and short of it....

What is the issue? I feel silly for even discussing breastfeeding in public, because we, as a society, should NEVER have got to the point where women feel bad, or self conscious, or embarrassed by breastfeeding.

I can go into any news agents and pick up a pair of massive bangers for a couple of quid from the top shelf. Or turn to page 3 of the sun to see some teenager flashing for the cash.

Yet, when I want to use mine in the way nature intends them to be use.... I feel like I am being watched.

I have not had the 'pleasure' of being told to move, or shown somewhere inappropriate like a toilet to feed my baby yet, but every time I feed her in public, I think it could happen..... Not Cool!!

And although I have this whole speech in my head for if and when it does happen, it doesn't detract from the fact that I shouldn't even be thinking about this. I shouldn't even be writing this. There shouldn't be a debate, or discussion, or worry. It should be a part of life that one and all accept.

I wonder where we went wrong?

Is it any wonder so many women give it up before they might have done?

I was speaking to a friend today who said she never felt like breastfeeding came naturally to her, and this is why she gave it up. This is a fair enough point - but she went on to say how, if feeding her baby didn't go smoothly in public she felt sick that people might be watching her 'fumble' and that she might be offending people!!

OFFENDING PEOPLE??

My opinion is, if you are offended by breastfeeding, you have probably been starring for too long.

It is a sad fact, that in this country, breastfeeding support groups have to ask cafes to put up 'breastfeeding welcome' signs in their windows. It is a fantastic thing these groups are doing, but it shouldn't have to be done.

I am a proud breastfeeding mummy, and if my baby needs feeding, she is going to be fed.

The journey continues......

7 comments:

  1. LOL you caught me there. Love your title fab post. I do feel anxious on the few times I've tried to breastfeed in public. I feel most comfy when my baby is in her sling and carrying her on my front has the sling has a hood to cover her head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is absolutely spot on.

    I loved doing it on a rock in Disneyland Paris - but my 2 boys were 2 and 3 years old I believe, they were so hot and there was no way I was going to let them go thirsty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have never been asked to move or go somewhere more private, but every time I feed my daughter "in public" (as in, not in the privacy of my own home), I have that niggle that someone just might ask me to. And that nagging ache in my stomach of how I might react to such a challenge. I hope I would have the strength to stand up to them, but what if I didn't? I would be an hypocrite and letting down breastfeeding mothers everywhere. A split second to have a reaction to a situation that shouldn't even be an issue but could make such a difference to one person's attitude, maybe more if there are onlookers. Keep pushing forward with your fantastic approach to caring for your baby and help to renormalise what should never have become a taboo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's one of societies oddities alright. As you say, getting 'em out for a magazine = Perfectly acceptable and probably worth a few quid for the girl in question.

    Wearing skimpy clothes in the summer = Perfectly acceptable and if you're lucky some teenage oik might take a sneaky photo of you and bosh it up on Facebook.

    Discreetly breastfeedING your child without feeling the need to shamefully retreat into a urine-drenched public toilet = BADBADBADBADBADBAD

    ReplyDelete
  5. I reckon the only people who object to breastfeeding in public are men who are jealous that boobs aren't there for them to ogle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have only just seen all your lovely comments for some reason!! Thank you all xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...