Wednesday 30 October 2013

Lifft Sling Review Part 1. The Little Sling with BIG ideas!!


So I have the absolute pleasure of reviewing the very different Lifft Sling. 

http://www.lifftslings.com
Price - from £34.99 to £54.99. 

The following initial review will look at the ease, comfort, style, safety and practicality of the Lifft Sling as well as some of the points that make it so unique. 

So.... What does the Lifft Sling promise?? 


This sling promises to be unique, in the sence it actually improves your posture. It promises to be better for you than simply carrying your baby.

Brilliant!! 

With such a claim I was so excited to start playing with this sling. 

I quickly started making a simple pros and cons list to help me with this review. I did this because I've never used a sling like this, and really needed to get to grips with its best bits. 
So here is that list..... 


Pros. 

It is sized to fit you - no buckles, no adjusting. 
It's SUPER EASY to put on. 
Very comfortable. 
Lovely style and colours available. 
Baby is snug at a young age. 
Very good for Breastfeeding!! Win! 
Does feel good on the back. 
I think this will be amazing with bigger children! 
Very good price!! 

Cons. 
It's sized to fit you.... Meaning your partner or anyone else cannot wear it :( 
Lack of adjusting buckles means it can move out of place. 
Centre of gravity is put out of balance with baby's weight spread across body. 
Not convinced it's the best sling for baby's posture. 
[My] Baby slips down the sling - possible sizing problem. 

Ok.... Those are the basics. And I think at this point I should mention that my next review will be based on the use of this sling with a toddler. I am really looking forward to that!! 

So what can we get from those basic points?? 

I think, the fact that the sling is sized to fit the wearer has massive potential to be wonderful. It means that you don't have to worry about tying it tight, or adjusting straps, or concern yourself with it coming loose. 
It makes it the easiest sling I have ever worn. All you have to do is fold it in half and put your arm through it!! I don't think it could be easier!! 

This is reflected in the size of the instructions.... One leaflet.... In comparison to the novels I've had in the past!! (I had a picture of this but I can't find it...!) 

But - and this, for me and my husband, is quite a big deal - it means that nobody else can wear it. 
I know for many baby wearers this will be minor - how often does someone else wear your baby. But for me, even if it's just once a week, my husband does enjoy wearing a sling, and with this one he can't. 

I also think there is the issue of changing shape and size post birth. If you were to purchase a Lifft Sling post birth at a size 14, and then lost weight, you may end up not having a safe sling, having to pay out for another. It could become an expensive habit - whereas if you bought an adjustable sling, this wouldn't happen.

Sizing aside, the ease and comfort of the Lifft sling is undeniable. It's like nothing I've ever worn before, and this alone is worth it. 

I very much enjoyed using this sling for Breastfeeding also!! It's always fabulous when you find a product that links both of your mummy passions. And this really does combine the two. 
I can see how this sling would really help a new mum who was perhaps a little apprehensive about feeding in public. It gives good coverage whilst allowing you to feed comfortably and securely. 
I recommend testing this at home a few times first though just to get your latch and comfort right. 

I think the lady point I'll make before exploring this sling further with a toddler next week, is about it's claim to improve your posture. 
There is no doubt that it feels secure and comfortable on your back and shoulders (assuming the size is correct) and you don't ache after using it..... But.... I found that with babies weight spread across my body in this way, that my centre of gravity was a little off in comparison to using a sling where she would be worn at my centre. 

The claim that it improves your posture is correct, but it is in comparison to simply carrying your baby, not in comparison to other sling types. 
And this is where I am looking forward to using it with a toddler!! 

I can see how valuable it will be with an older child, and so at the weekend, I shall be visiting my beautiful god daughter and we will be playing with the sling together!! 

Can't wait!! Come back next week for the next part of the review. 

X




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...